Monday, February 25, 2013

Marimekko

Lately, I've been intrigued by the style of Marimekko. There's something about the seeming simplicity of bold lines and patterns that makes my heart skip a beat. Based in Finland, the company began creating prints for fashion and home decor in the 1950's. Well, that explains why I like it so much! Typically the products portray floral patterns and line designs in either black & white or vibrant color. 

After doing a little research, I decided to try Marimekko out for myself! I grabbed a cup and saucer set from the studio and got to work. Holy cow, did I ever underestimate the work for this project! The saucer alone took at least 9 hours to complete. I started with a base coat of white and did all the designs in solid black to keep with the simplicity of the style. Since I was working with pottery, each color needed three coats of paint in order to be solid (hence why it took so long). 

Here's how it came out:





I had to sign it somehow :)

I'm super stoked about how it turned out, and I can't wait to make myself a big cup of tea. It's also the perfect size for soup and cereal! My favorite part of pottery is that, depending on the type of piece, is that you can actually use the art that has been created! What could be better than that?

Have a happy week!
-bunny

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment :)