Thursday, August 29, 2013

DIY TV Stand Dresser Make-over

Hey friends! It always seems like I'm playing a game of catch-up with you all whenever I write a new post. Maybe I need to get better at this.. 

In case you haven't heard, as of tomorrow I will have spent my first whole week living in Duluth! I'm super pumped to begin my classes and find out what opportunities this new city has to offer. The past few weeks, however, have been absolutely crammed. I've been running around like a crazy person trying to get all my stuff together for my new place. Today, I'm going to introduce you to my biggest project: a TV stand made from a dresser! A week or so before I left, a wonderful co-worker informed me that she had a dresser she wanted to get rid of. I told her I'd gladly take it off her hands. :) 

Here's the before picture: 



It turned out to be the absolute perfect size. Although I liked how it looked previously, it wasn't quite the style I was going for. So I peeled the zebra print duct tape off and removed the hardware. Since it was already white, I just gave it a good sanding and it was ready to go. 


I had picked out deep red, navy blue, gold and various matching colors for my allover color scheme, so luckily I had a quart of beautiful deep navy leftover from my bedroom. (In case you wanted to know specifics, it's called "Lost in Space" from Ace Hardware).



Ta-da! Then I spray painted the original hardware that came with the dresser (the black ones were replacements) with white Rustoleum spray paint. Luckily, I had this project in mind a few months ago and my mother brought home a couple refrigerator shelves from a fridge they ended up tossing at work. They slid in perfectly between the boards for the top drawers. 


Then I used this little guy, a circular saw attached to the drill, to make two holes in the back for cords.


BAM. Easy as pie.


So now I'm all moved in and everything is set up! Unfortunately, the sound system and speakers didn't fit in the left side shelf so I ended up setting another table next to the dresser. Instead, I slid in a crate full of paints to fill the negative space. Above that is my record player and the tv, and under that is my trusty VCR. I am currently using the four drawers as storage for VHS tapes, DVDs and extra blankets. The setup makes me look forward to cold winter nights when I can pull out a fluffy blanket, snuggle up and watch an old movie or listen to a peaceful record with cup of coffee :) 

Keep an eye out, much more to follow :) 
Have a happy weekend! 
-Al

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment :)