Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DIY Necklace Display


Happy Wednesday everyone!

 I know it's been quite a while since I've last posted, I've just been so darn busy! I'm moving to the great white north in less than three weeks and I can hardly contain myself. I'm excited, nervous and so incredibly stressed. I feel like I'm exploding with projects I need to finish before I leave. That being said, I'm having a massive crafting extravaganza this weekend so many posts will follow :) Yahoo!

You may also notice that I'm switching things up on the design of my blog.. As you can tell it's still a work in progress. I'm not completely happy with it and need to do a bit more tweeking until it's just right. So please excuse the mess!

So to get to the point, today I'm going to walk you through how to make your own necklace display! 

Supplies needed:
- Two pieces of wood (whatever length you desire)
-paint (I used white and turquoise acrylic)
-adorable knobs (or ugly, I suppose. It's your project!)
-picture hangers

First, I cut my pieces of wood to the desired lengths. For this project, I wanted them to be cohesive so I cut them the same. Then, I measured out and drilled four holes (one for each knob, obviously). When doing so, you need to make sure that you match up your knobs with the correct size drill bit. The three smaller ones were about the same, but I needed a larger one for the bird since the screw was larger. 





Ta-da! Okay, next I painted the whole piece white (front and back). I did the same with the larger piece that sits on top and added the script. Once they were both dry, I used some wood glue to secure the two pieces together. 


In case you were wondering, "La vie est faite de petits bonheurs" in french translates to "Life is full of little pleasures." :) 

Once the glue was dry, I inserted my knobs! Since they extended the width of the wood, I grabbed a saw and cut off the excess on the back. It took a bit of muscle, but it's possible! Here's what's left after I cut them down. 


Lastly, I attached hangers on the back top so the piece can neatly hang on the wall. You can get these from any hardware store.





And there you have it! A super cute, personalized way to hang your jewelry, sweaters, and whatnot. I made this piece for my good friend, whom I make many of my creations for so I'm looking forward to making another for myself in the near future! 

Speaking of, here's a painting I did for her just last week!


You may have noticed a theme in colors here. I wonder what her favorite could be...

I can't wait to show you more of what I'm working on, so stay tuned! :)
Have a happy week!
-bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment :)